Mopheads

Welcome to my new blog! "Mopheads" comes from the name of the floral design business I ran out of my home briefly before children. The name "mopheads" was already taken in the blogosphere, so I had to settle for bluemopheads. I'll be covering things I adore (besides my family, of course): decor, gardening, floral design, good flicks and books I'm reading, as well as an occasional rant. Enjoy and please leave comments.


What is a mophead you ask? It is the nickname for Hydrangea macrophylla -- the big bloomed hydrangea show stopper that is immensely popular with gardeners and florists alike. Hydrangeas are such the rage in the south that the American Hydrangea Society was founded right here in Atlanta by the adorable hydrangea enthusiast Penny McHenry. The gorgeous "penny mac" hydrangea is named after her. I had the privilege of hearing her speak before she passed away several years ago. You can find pretty much any variety of hydrangea at Wilkerson Mill Gardens, which is 25 minutes southwest of downtown Atlanta. The gardens are open by appointment only for the rest of the year. Not that many people are gardening right now anyway.


My dream is to someday open a flower shop here in Decatur just as soon as I find a partner and produce that business plan my husband keeps asking me about.

Lately, I've been keeping myself busy eating a lot of Halloween candy and reading "Wild." Get it, read it and then come back with your comments. I promise you will never take a good pedicure for granted again.

5 comments:

  1. Love it! Welcome to the wonderful world of blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved reading this - can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maureen, This is Great! Congratulations! I've already learned many new things just with this first read!! Can I be your CPA when the shop opens along with being a customer of course?? Missed you at the Sunday evening neighborhood shin dig. Didn't get a chance to speak to Jeff but I take it he's a surgeon wannabe? I parked in your driveway by the way! Happy happy blogging!!

    October 31, 2012 7:06 AM

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips